- FROM THE FARMERS
We finally sold all our feeder cattle on Friday. As many of you know, about 18 months ago we experienced a BVDV outbreak in our herd of freshly weaned, light weight feeder calves that were new to the farm. We experienced a catastrophic loss of around 30% of our herd in two weeks. After nursing the herd back to health, we went through the drought of last summer, leaving us with few options to mitigate our losses.
The path we chose was to delay the sale of the calves, and grow them slowly on grass to reduce our production costs. After a lot of heartache, and the fortune of a wet summer, it all ended in a 30 second auction on Friday. The calves fetched a fair price, and the weight was good, making the best of a bad situation. We’ve added buying sale barn calves to list of things we’ll never do again.
We’re relieved to be on the other side of this experience. And we’re energized by how you are all making it possible for us to move in a different direction.
WEEK #20 CSA SHARE CONTENTS
ALL OUR PRODUCE IS NOW CERTIFIED ORGANIC!
- I’ve been on the tractor since Friday afternoon, so I’ll update this after we harvest Tuesday morning.
FARM NOTES & EVENTS
FIND US AT THE LFUCG GOVERNMENT CENTER 3:30-5:00 PM
- TUESDAY – BEREA FARMERS MARKET, 3:30-6:30 PM
- THURSDAY – MADISON COUNTY FARMERS MARKET, 10:00-1:00 PM @ EKU
- SATURDAY – BEREA FARMERS MARKET, 9:00-12:00 PM
- SATURDAY – LEXINGTON FARMERS MARKET, 7:00-12:00 PM